Thursday, July 14, 2005

Scents, Smells and Odors...

Is there a scent that takes you back to your childhood?

One is a bittersweet memory. Ok, no pun intended, but the other day I was walking back to my office from lunch and there it was. The smell of chocolate. Not just any chocolate smells this way but it took me back to my childhood and some good memories of my Dad.
Although I don’t remember exactly how old I was, I just know that I was pretty young, I would visit my Dad at the pudding factory. Yes, my Dad "made" pudding for a living. We used to joke with him when he would make comments like this "I made pudding" or "I made some corn." We would ask him if he became God or something.
Dad worked for My T Fine pudding factory for several years. Over the years he would bring home many boxes of the pudding. When I was able to visit him at work, my favorite thing would be to go to the kitchen where the cook would make boxes of pudding from each batch to check the quality of the color or flavor. I would get to sample the puddings. Yummy!

So, needless to say, I was transported back to the days of Dad today. It brought back many great memories and, at least this time, not too many tears.

Another favorite smell is the smell of Pumpkin Pie. Mmmmmmm. Mom always made pumpkin pie for our family holidays. When holidays came around she always was elected to bake the pies. The smell of pumpkin takes me back to Thanksgiving and Christmas when the whole family would be together. Everyone met at Grandma and Grandpa’s to eat, talk, play games. The kids would try to beat Grandpa to the choice spot in front of the fireplace. Good times.

No comments: