Monday, September 11, 2006

~ 9/11/01 ~

It’s been 5 years…hard to believe it’s been that long. It is still in my mind like it was yesterday. I can still see the images in my mind which were playing across the TV at my office. I know this is one of those occasions that you can remember forever where you were and what you were doing when you heard about the attack.

5 years ago I was working for a law firm in downtown St. Louis. We had a TV but never turned it on as it was in a back office/file room. My mom called the office asking if I had heard the news. Of course I had not so we all crowded in the office watching the scene unfold. I remember seeing the 2nd airplane crash into the second tower. It was surreal. This is America and things like this don’t happen here. What devastation. What a tragedy. I don't think there are words to describe the feelings and devastation, everything I type just seem inadequate.

I personally didn’t know anyone who was killed in any of the events that happened 5 years ago, but I do know people who were affected by it. It is my opinion that EVERYONE was touched in some way by this attack. My heart aches for those who are mourning today and having to re-live the day because of media. I pray they find peace and comfort.

In trying to find the good that might have come from the events of 9/11, I came up with:
God became important in America once again.
People started caring about each other.
Race was no longer an issue. We were all Americans!
Families spent more time together.
Children got more hugs.
People prayed more.

For a long time "We Will Not Forget" was plastered everywhere. But I wonder if we have forgotten. It is easy to slip back into a carefree lifestyle and forget the change in our lives from 5 years ago.

So I ask you, did you make a commitment that day to God or to your family? Are you still following through with your commitment? Even though there is no longer the visual reminder plastered across our TV’s and newspapers every moment of the day, please don’t forget the people who live with the results of this tragedy and don’t let their deaths be in vain. Take advantage of today and make a fresh start. Focus on what is important in your life…hug your children, husband, family and, above all, put God back where he belongs – on the throne of your life.
Oh beautiful for spacious skies
For amber waves of grain
For purple mountains majesty
Above the fruited plane
America, America
God shed His grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea.
God Bless America!!!

1 comment:

~Denise said...

YAY for you... opening up w/ emotional journaling!!!
I'm proud of you.